Sunday, July 3, 2016

Sabbath Delights: Don't You Run Out Ahead of Him

This morning while I was getting ready for church, I listened to a talk from President Erying called Mountains to Climb. Wow. I vaguely remember listening when it was given, but re-reading it has I was in awe at how perfect and inspiring it is! The whole talk is about how if we have faith in Jesus Christ, all times in life, hard or easy, can be a blessing. Read that sentence again because it is a truly remarkable. He talks about how each good choice we make, beginning even in childhood, strengthens our ability to endure trials when they come. He says,

"When hard trials come, the faith to endure them well will be there, built as you may now notice but may have not at the time that you acted, on the pure love of Christ, serving and forgiving others as the Savior loved and serving for Him. Your faith in Him led to acts of charity that will bring you to hope."

That truth of strength arriving in the moment we need it is something that has been brought to my attention somewhat recently. Earlier in the summer, I read a book called The Hiding Place. If you want an increase of faith and hope in humanity award this book the top slot of your to-do list. It is the story of an ordinary Dutch woman named Corrie Ten Bloom who lead a resistance group against the Germans during World War Two. She as taken to a concentration camp and experienced horror as potent as it comes. But she never forgot nor blamed God and Christ and sought them even in that camp. She survived and then dedicated the rest of her life to testifying that the love and redemption of Christ is ALWAYS deeper than any pain or injustice we face. I can't think of a more qualified person to testify of such sweet truths. Such a powerful book. Here is one of my favorite parts:
(This passage follows Corrie's first time seeing death as a young girl. Her father comes in to kiss them good night and this conversation ensues. Please note that at this time Corrie's father is in no danger of death.)

"I need you!" I sobbed. "You can't die! You can't!"
     Father sat down on the edge of the narrow bed. "Corrie," he began gently, "when you and I go to Amsterdam--when do I give you your ticket?"
     I sniffed a few times, considering this.
    "Why just before we get on the train."
    "Exactly. And our wise Father in Heaven knows when we're going to need things, too. Don't run out ahead of Him, Corrie. When the time comes that some of us will have to die, you will look into your heart and find the strength you need--just in time."

Isn't that one of the most comforting, beautiful truths! I feel like I get really impatient and frustrated, not knowing if I have enough faith or will be prepared for the future. But this has taught me to be still have hope that all will be well. I even got to experience a bit of that at Golda's farewell. I was really dreading her leaving. It just feels like there have been so many good-byes since high school with no end in sight. But the day of the farewell came and I was SO HAPPY. I knew that this was what Golda needed to be doing and that the time would pass and we would still be friends. Even saying our final 'see-ya later' on Tuesday was filled with joy! Heavenly Father is so loving and merciful!

I shared this passage with my good friend Spencer Rasmussen who is currently serving as a missionary in Indiana. His response really just made me smile. What a powerful, humble missionary he must be. He says,  

"The book sounds awesome, and I feel that the quote "don't run out ahead of him" can be applied to so many facets of our lives.  We are always seeking our will, but if we just slow down and accept and follow our Heavenly Father's timing, we will be so much happier.  Its been something I think He is trying to teach me out here, to just accept his timing and keep working my hardest.  And the cool part is that as I have accepted that, I feel inner peace and happiness doing things like endless tracting without success, just knowing that things will happen in the Lord's time.  So I just choose to be happy and make the most of whatever the situation is, shoveling sheep poop or tracting, and you really can just choose to be happy, its pretty neat."

Don't you love that--'Its pretty neat." Haha,yeah Elder Rasmussen, it kinda really is. 





1 comment:

  1. I love this. Im totally going to steal it and apply it in my life!

    ReplyDelete