Sunday, July 31, 2016

Sabbath Delight: Testimony, Hymn 137

Today was a day of clarity and confirmation. After church, I was reminded of the final verse of a favorite hymn. As I sung that final verse however, I felt that the hymn was not yet over. There was still more in my heart bursting to be expressed. These next few verses flowed from the experiences and lessons that life as taught me as of late. Difficult, stretching, and tiring, yet hopeful, beautiful, and important.

The first verse comes from the LDS hymn book, the rest are mine to you. If you feel so inclined, here is a link to a piano accompaniment. It is my hope that some will sing along, however quietly, and feel at peace; regardless of the stanza they may now find themselves within.

As testimony fills my heart,
It dulls the pain of days.
For one brief moment, heaven's view
Appears before my gaze.

And then I see how all along,
His gentle hand did guide.
The clouds of fear are swept away
By Jesus the crucified.

Great voices loud and insincere
The light feels far and dim.
Some hearts may falter, steps fall back
But still I trust in Him.

Amidst the dark and foggy path
We can step faithfully,
With grateful hearts for what's to come,
By trusting soon we'll see.

And when that glorious morning breaks
The light again is known
I then look back and understand
The path I have been shown.

1 comment: