Sunday, June 12, 2016

Sabbath Delights: And Please Bless the Refreshments

Sister Crystal Draper, Sister Haley Fishburn and Elder Ethan Wilkinson will be powerful additions to the worldwide missionary force. I know that not only because of the moving testimonies they offered today, but because of the genuine, faithful people they were in high school. A smile pressed itself into my cheeks from the moment they stood up to the closing 'amen.' I can imagine the great pleasure their parents have in them by how proud I felt of my friends today. 


And of course, where ever there is a mission farewell enough food to feed a small army is never far away. Three 'after-parties' had me staring down more crock pots, casseroles and creative-Mormon salads than I'd care to count. And I don't even want to think about the dessert tables ;). I definitely had more than my fair share of refreshments after church today. As I sat regretting the last two trips the before-mentioned table I began to think about a different sort of refreshment I enjoy every Sunday, missionary farewell or not. This is something no chocolate chip cookie, yes even your grandmother's secret recipe, could ever match.

In Exodus 31:17 we read that the 'Lord made heaven and earth and on the seventh day he rested, and was refreshed (emphasis added).' For me, this refreshment has become the sweetest, most anticipated aspect of the Sabbath Day. I know that however many times I fall short in my goals and responsibilities that week, the cleansing and enabling power of the Savior's grace can and will enter back into my heart as I worship. I know for a fact that without the sweetness of Sabbath my commitment and faith in the Savoir would diminish quickly.

The word refresh has three definitions and I have seen each in action again and again. I believe it to be no coincidence this word was used in the scripture above:

1. To give new strength or energy to; reinvigorate. This is my favorite definition :) I always need new strength, energy and re-invigoration. Today, I was given a renewed energy toward the Book of Mormon during a Relief Society lesson. 'The scripture field is white and ready to harvest.' 

2. Stimulate or jog someone's memory by checking or going over previous information. Thank goodness for this one! Spiritual integrity, or remembering and being true to past experiences, is of the utmost importance in my life. This quote has pulled me through many a times: 'To ignore and discount past spiritual experiences will distance us from God."- Elder Vern P, Stanfill. Read the rest of my favorite talk here.

3. Revise or update skills or knowledge. When I was little I used to complain that I knew everything about the scriptures so I didn't need to go to church. Ha ha! There is always more to learn about a gospel that is everlasting.

Anyway, the next time you come to the end of a church function and the nervous 12-year-old blesses that the donuts will nourish and strengthen our bodies, maybe remember the other kind of refreshment you may have received that day. I will amen anytime to a blessing upon renewed strength, a jogged memory and updated knowledge. 

And please bless my refreshments.




2 comments:

  1. Brilliant. I hope you realize the magnitude of this post. You wrote it so simply beautifully that, rather than laughing at the irony of asking that the buttery sugar they feed us "nourish and strengthen us," I will remember this much more broad and significant idea of blessing a whole other kind of much more important refreshment all together. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete