Sunday, June 19, 2016

Sabbath Delights: He's Milking a Capri Sun.

Another mission farewell checked off my summer calendar today.

Ha ha. Isn't it funny how even the most significant events in life are whittled down to just mere pen scratches on our calendar; to be crossed off by a big black 'X' as the day ends and life runs along underneath our feet? Doesn't my calendar know that today wasn't normal so it should have gone slower, or just not happened at all? No, every little box looks exactly the same on paper and our additions to it will change nothing at all. 

Sorry folks, that rant was inevitable;). Today was my first and life-long best friend's farewell before she leaves to the Bismark, North Dakota mission. I once heard that a cousin's bond is something special because no one else can understand your family's crazy. Well, our families have more than their share fair of crazy, so our bond must be extra strong ;).  

When I was little, I used to measure life by trips to visit the Brian and Rita Haws family. Baby blessings, mission farewells, graduations, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Grandma's house--I only wanted to go if Emma was going to be there. I knew fun was guaranteed if Emma was involved and I was never wrong. She has always been one of those people where it doesn't matter what she says, I am going to laugh. My best childhood memories are the two of us swinging at Grandma's house, running around Larry and Kathy's, staying up until all hours on vacation, and lounging in food comas after a Sunday family gathering. 

My favorite part about being with Emma is her endless optimism and gift at finding humor in everything. She can laugh and poke fun at anyone in a way that makes them feel right at home. All the little cousins love her because she makes them feel just as important as the big kids. Our extended Haws family would be robbed of a lot of joy without Emma Jayne in the picture. She's everyone's favorite cousin and it is not hard to see why. There will definitely be a noticeable hole during her absence. 

I've discovered over the years, that I have a deep, ugly, belly laugh that only Emma seems to be able to pull out of me. It is probably the result of a lifetime of giggling and slumber parties. The quantity, and quality, of insides jokes we've got going is astonishing. Today I got one last good laugh out of her for 18 months: Her brother Jensen was squirting the contents of a Capri Sun pouch into a glass cup, when Emma looks at him, in the middle of our conversation, and goes, 'He's milking a Capri Sun.' I had to stop and laugh again just now, 'Milking'?! Only Emma haha :) I am going to have to stretch that one out for the next year and a half. 

Emma, I love you, I love you, I love you! 





Today, and really the whole weekend, I was struck by how incredibly blessed I have been by my extended family. On both sides. My Dad's family was all over yesterday for a family reunion and it was baby and toddler bliss. My Dad is the youngest by quite a bit in their family so all of his siblings kids have a little flock of their own. And they are adorable. I love to watch the boys I used to wrestle with comfort a crying a two-year old or tickle a baby's tummy. And their mothers are the perfect picture of what I hope to grow up to be, I feel so, so lucky to be surrounded by such amazing role models. I know the family is of God.

Grandma Abel selfies are my fav.

And the Haws family is just as wonderful. Again, my mother is the youngest, so I have amazing examples to look up to in life. I hope I can be as kind as Jessica, as sweet as Haley and as beautiful as Kylie; just to name a few. Their impact by example in my life is more powerful than they probably realize. Each of my six uncles and aunts are hilarious and kind. They make me feel special and loved without their hardly realizing it. The good they and their families do in the world will can never be measured. Truly a manifestation of God's love in my life. I know that my family will be there for me no matter what happens, and I most definitely delight in that.


1 comment:

  1. Wow you got all "And life is so short" on us! ;) That was really beautiful Emily. Your family is lucky to have your spirit and constant thankfulness. Tell Emma to look for a Sister Ellis Bennett!! ~Golda

    ReplyDelete