Sunday, June 26, 2016

How I See You

I have decided that farewells and funerals share a lot in common, but not in the way you are thinking. Funeral give us an opportunity to celebrate a person we love, to bask in their accomplishments and good qualities. They also remind us of what is really important in life and that there is a plan more glorious and perfect than our minds and hearts can fully grasp. Our chests burn with love over the sweet remembrance of past memories, as well as a joy for what unknown, grand vistas of experience await us in life. I always walk away from such occasions feeling uplifted, inspired and with an overall sense of something I don't quite have the word for. Truth. I guess that is the best way to dictate that feeling, I feel truth. God has a beautiful plan for His children and true remembrance of that brings emotion and refreshment far beyond anything the world has to offer.

When I awoke this morning, I fully expected feelings of sadness and loneliness to accompany my day. My best, most trusted, beautiful, sweet, talented best friend was about to leave for a longer period than I have ever been without anything important to me. With the number of good-byes in my life, how could my heart not droop and the tears flow? But I have never been so unexpectedly and happily wrong. Golda Cristine Dopp's missionary farewell a spiritual, joyous occasion beyond anything I had expected. Every tear shed was an overflow of pure peace her decision to serve has brought into my heart. This is God's work, His truth, and His plan in action. Golda is prepared to completely dedicated herself to the saving of souls in Hong Kong. How I could I not feel the greatest of joy over that! Any feelings of sadness are completely swept away over the eternal significance and peace of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. I want Golda to go. Today, for the first time, I really do want her to leave. The good she has to offer the world is unmeasurable and I don't for one more second want to keep that to myself.



Now, I want my words to take a bit of shift. This summer I have had ample time to indulge myself in reading for long hours. Each novel includes descriptions of characters, their appearance, their temperament, their motivations.  Talented authors can give you a clear picture and sum up of a person in just a few pages.  While reading these, I can't help but wonder how I myself would be so succinctly described. What is it about me that people see, think about, or remember? Over the past few days, however, my thoughts have turned to how I would describe one of my biggest influences on the pages of a novel. I don't claim to be a talented author, but here, dear Golda, is how I see you:

"A slender girl, nineteen but small for her age, swept open the front door and greeted me with a wide, white smile. Her deep auburn hair frames a cute, round face that provides her with the impish grin I have seen so many times. Her delicate hands and long, painted nails wave me happily inside.
As I step over the threshold and into the Dopp's home, feelings of warmth and welcome wash over me almost imperceptibly. I follow along behind Golda into the kitchen. Each step she takes is with purpose and grace, probably the result of years of ballet training. I slip quietly onto a barstool while Golda kindly asks if I would like a glass of water. I respond yes and then we sit and chat in the kitchen for a time. Golda's wide, hazel eyes sparkle in amusement and even roll back in delight when a comment is especially funny. Tonight her laugh is loud and abrupt, starting and ending without warning. She tips her head back and then rocks forward holding her stomach as we laugh about really anything and everything. Laughter always comes quickly and naturally when in the company of someone with such a profound inner happiness and love for life.

Not all days with Golda are so relaxed and informal, today a congregation of smiling faces looks up to her from the familiar church pews. As she speaks, it is clear these words and convictions are her very own. Golda was never one to believe something without personal consideration. Her sincerity of speech makes every humorous moment natural and testimony touching. She is confident, poised, and genuine in front of a crowd. Eyes are wet and hearts are inspired from the words spoken from this humble, yet powerful sister.

After the meeting she floats between friends, offering compliments and expressing love. Her face lights up and her smile widens with every new person she sees. No one is left behind or unwanted as Golda works her way down the isle. Everyone is important and Golda's gentle, yet enthusiastic temperament ensures they feel so.

Now this sweet friend will leave to be a missionary. She no doubt has fears and worries, but Golda chooses to let her optimism and charity be stronger. The tender love this older sister feels for her siblings will not falter, but grow and deepen through this experience. She is their leader, example, and friend. I count her life as one of my greatest blessings and sources of joy. While we will all miss her easy laugh, delicate features, and refined style, it is what's inside that will leave the biggest hole. Nevertheless, is without restraint and with excitement that we share our dear friend, sister, daughter, niece, cousin, and example with the people of Hong Kong, China."


Thank-you Golda for being a true friend. I'll see you a bit :)


These are Golda and I's farewell fish. Little flashback to elementary school I know. Just something (a really cute something) of each other to hold on to while we are apart!





2 comments:

  1. Emily! You are, first, an incredible friend, but also a great writer. I hung on every word, and they're all true. I love seeing Golda through your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cherished gift this will be for Golda, just as you are cherished. You are a gifted writer. We all love you.

    ReplyDelete