Friday, June 24, 2016

We Might Have Been Happy

"Behold, these many years we have suffered in the wilderness, which time we might have enjoyed our possessions and the land of our inheritance; yea, and we might have been happy."  ~1 Nephi 17:21~

That last line really struck me. For Nephi, the family's time in the wilderness brought him closer to God. It brought to him the opportunity to feel pain, but also real joy. Nephi saw the good and the God in everyday, despite the sore trials that fell upon him. His experience in the wilderness became a preparation for the rest of his life. But all Laman and Lemual had to say was 'we might have been happy.' Their response made me wonder, how often do I let my circumstance dictate my mood? How many times have I let a worry steal away the joy of everyday living? It is certain that we will each have our own wilderness in which we must sometime wander; the question is will we be like Nephi and find joy, or idly lament its absence like Laman and Lemual. This week I have determined to not let the wilderness in which I currently roam rob me off a happy life. It would be a sin on my part to ignore the tender mercies a loving Father in Heaven so graciously imparts to me day by day. Moment by moment, actually. To Laman and Lemual I say, yes, you could have been happy. But you let your murmurings take that place in your heart. But I will not fall into the same trap. I choose to be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment