Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Self-love on New Year's Eve

I don't know about you guys, but New Year's Day always seems to sneak up on me. The weeks leading up to Christmas are so busy and exciting that I hardly think about the upcoming new year. Then suddenly it's New Year's Eve, and I'm scribbling down a few thoughtless resolutions that, even as I write them, I know I won't keep. Consequently, I feel frustrated about my lack of self-reflection and goal setting. Really, I just feel frustrated about me.

Last year around this time, I was in a yoga class when the instructor said something that I found very refreshing. As we were ending our practice, she asked each of us if we would, in addition to our resolutions, make a list of things we were not going to change about ourselves. She told us to look inward and find the things we love about who we are and determine not to lose them. What is it about 19 year old Emily that I want to find in 20 and 21 year old Emily?

Isn't that refreshing?? As the commercial world begins to blow its promises of a newer, thinner, smarter, more organized, happier you, it is nice to remember that not everything needs to change. You already have special attributes and talents that are worth protecting. If we are entirely focused on what should change, we may lose sight of all the goodness that is already within us. Instead of jumping straight into nitpicking your every move, take a look at the positive changes 2016 brought to yourself.

I think too often we look back at our younger selves, and grimace over things we said, or did, or even just thought about; forgetting that he/she is the one that got us where we are now. This New Year's Eve I am trying to look back on 2016 with gratitude for 18 year old Emily. Gratitude for the good habits she picked up, for the friends she made, and the person she tried to become. Not everything went perfectly, but there was a lot of goodness in her heart that I'd like to keep a hold of.

I'll probably still end up making a list of resolutions. Who knows--maybe some of them will even happen this year.  But I hope that as I set out into the journey of 2017, I'll remember to invite all the goodness of 2016 along to help.

3 comments:

  1. I love this. Why don't more people think about things the way you do, huh? :) If anything, keeping the goodness you already have is more important than changing. I think we change regardless of what specific changes we plan to make, so if we focus more heavily on our goodness than on those specific plans, they and we are bound to be all the better for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "True doctrine, understood changes attitudes and behavior. The study of the doctrines of the gospel will improve behavior quicker than a study of behavior will improve behavior." Boyd K. Packer

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy you have a blog. Anytime I need a little extra Emily (and her optimism) for the next 18 months, I'm just going to read one of these.

    ReplyDelete