Monday, July 18, 2016

A Few Guys and a Piano

I love, love, love going to concerts. The passion displayed by true musicians is so refreshing. Talented people doing what they love with such ferocity and joy that it ripples out across the crowd in wave after exciting wave. And outdoor concerts are even better. The energy isn't stifled by enclosing walls, but grows and pulses with each song right up into the stars. In the past, I have attended loud, raging events; Imagine Dragons, OneRepublic, One Direction etc. But Saturday night found me in an attendance with a whole different sort of crowd. The Piano Guys. The group consists of four musicians with pianist Jon Schmidt and cellist Steve Sharp Nelson at the head. They are on a mission to reawaken a love for classical music among the public. And whooo-eee did they do a good job.

I loved every single number they performed. Some were original scores, others were genius mash-ups of popular hits and beloved classics. One of my favorite numbers was called Beethoven's 5 Secrets. It was a flawless combination of OneRepublic's "Secrets" and melodies from Beethoven's 5th Symphony. A youth symphony from the area joined Jon and Steve on the stage for added power and sound. My shoulder's began to sway and soon my entire upper body joined in. It was so beautiful! Afterward Steve said a few words. I found them touching in light of recent world events.

"Whatever goes wrong in the world, if I see kids with an instrument in their hand I know everything is going to be alright."

There is a whole lot of evil, hate and destruction going on right know. But there is also so much good to be shared. That evening under the beautiful full moon, as airplanes soared above my head, soothing sounds encompassed my soul, and in the company of thousands of good people unified through the arts, I decided something. Humans are pretty darn awesome. Don't let the actions of a few idiots rob you of that sweet truth.


The Piano Guys




No comments:

Post a Comment