Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Art Stumbling in Salt Lake City

I love art. Every form it takes adds a great thrill to this human experience. Movement, music, words, paintings, photographs, 3-D--all of it prompts a fresh view of life and a deepened belief in the human capacity to create. Of all the forms, I suppose simply due to personal exposure and experience, my heart speaks most to movement and the written word. Absorbing a sincere dancer's energy or soaking in a honest writer's prose brings something to life in me that lays dormant in the dust of everyday life. My determination to never miss an opportunity to be in the presence of passion is renewed every time I find myself in such a situation.

Just yesterday, Jess and I stumbled our way into the LDS's churches 10th International Art Contest. The theme 'Tell me the Stories of Jesus' gave way to personal expressions of the Savior's teachings from across the world. I had clicked my way through pictures of the entries online a few weeks ago, but hadn't realized they were on still display. Jess and I's day trip to Salt Lake City became much more memorable than we anticipated. Entries from Cambodia, Italy, Malaysia, Japan, and elsewhere held our attention for over two hours on the second floor of the Church History museum.

I LOVE purpose of the contest: 'To showcase the breadth and diversity of Latter-day Saints cultural production and to make manifest the various styles, techniques, media and voices of Mormon art. Such efforts expand the canon from the familiar images that adorn the halls of ward buildings to include new approaches to depicting beloved gospel subjects, thereby adding to our cultural legacy and visual heritage."

Wow, right?! I love the familiar art in church hallways, but it is all so western. So American. As Latter-Day Saints, we believe that man was created in God's image. But, as my institute teacher once pointed out, we often take that to mine our own image, or that God looks like we do. This results in artists depicting the Savior in their own race and coloring. As we are not idol worshipers, meaning we don't pray directly to the pictures, I suppose it doesn't really matter. But it is so important to remember that Christ is the Savior of every nation, tongue and people. God created the every piece of land on this earth. Men's identification of which nations are Christian and which are not do not change that.

'Know ye not that there are more nations than one? Know ye not that I, the Lord your God, have created all men, and that I remember those who are upon the isles of the sea; and that I rule in the heavens above and in the earth beneath; and I bring forth my word unto the children of men, yea, even upon all the nations of the earth?' ~2 Nephi 29:7

As each submission to the contest was so compelling I will not try and pick a favorite. But there are a few that stand out in my mind. Each brought with it a connection to my brothers and sisters, even as far away as Cambodia.

Early Morning with the Savior

By  Sopheap Nhem. And the accompanying description: "Nhem depicts the children of Cambodia surrounding Jesus, who knows each one of them individually and gathers them into His outstretched arms. They look to Him and gather happily around Him. The artist chose the colors of pink and orange because they are, for her, associated with peace and regality, symbolic of the Savior Himself. Said Jesus, “Suffer little children to come unto me, . . . for of such is the kingdom of God” (Luke 18:16)."

Jesus and the Angry Babies

By Brian Kershisnik. "The New Testament records that young children were brought to Jesus and “his disciples rebuked those that brought them. But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God” (Mark 10:13–14). Here, Kershisnik envisions messy and wiggly young children, misbehaving while sitting on Jesus’s knee, and a compassionate Jesus, who loves us in our humanity."


Martha's Chair
By Shelley Mendenhall Detton. "Martha’s vacant chair is an invitation to listen to the words of the Savior. The chair suggests our heavenly origin and the need to make time for holy things. The ribbon refers to the blessings waiting to be given to us if we turn toward Christ daily. Today, many of us live in a culture in which we are expected to stay busy, yet such busyness can cause us to miss the “that good part” (Luke 10:42)."

Out of the 944 submissions, there are dozens of selected pieces on display at the Church History museum in Salt Lake City. Each as diverse and unique as a snowflake. For those living in the Salt Lake area, please don't miss this phenomenal showcase. Here is a link to the online gallery if Salt Lake is beyond your reach: Tell Me the Stories of Jesus International Art Competition



No comments:

Post a Comment