Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Those Olympic Commercials Though

I love the Olympics.

My family pays absolutely no attention to sports except the Olympics. But do you want to know what may be even better than watching these world class athletes compete? Watching them play actor. I'm going to go ahead and say that Olympic commercials are even better than the Superbowl's; bold statement I know. *Note: the only reason I even know about the Superbowl is because my mom has six sports enthused brothers. I usually don't even know who is playing until the day of.

In the minutes between NBC coverage, it appears that someone turned 'Merica!' onto full blast and forgot to turn it off. One of my favorites this year has to be the Gillette Venus razor commercial featuring Gabby Douglas. P&G is using America's buff sweetheart to convince us that we need a fancy ($9.00) razor to swipe hair off our legs. Am I the only one who finds that funny? Not athletic equipment or health food, but razors. Watching the commercial almost makes you think that rubbing that thing across your leg will produce calves like Gabby's. And speaking of health food, how ironic is it that McDonalds is the Official Restaurant of the Olympics? As if these athletes can allow such horrendous junk food in their diet while in training. I've always wondered if the athletes love shooting the McDonald's commercial because they get to indulge in the fatty goodness that is a large contributor to this nation's health epidemic. Merica!

One more, than I'll move on. The Liberty Mutual Insurance Team USA Medals commercial. This one is so 'Merica!' that I almost can't even. Kayla Harrison, she brought home America's first gold medal in Judo, appears on screen assuring us that we 'already know' what it feels like to earn an Olympic gold medal. The shot then cuts to her jogging through a green, clean, picturesque American neighborhood. She passes a man affectionately cleaning his car--his bronze medal, if you will. Next is a young couple lovingly moving boxes from a truck into their new home--their silver medal. And lastly, we run past a young, fit mother pushing her 'gold' in a stroller as she walks. The Great American Dream in thirty seconds, with Liberty Mutual to protect it. Ah hometown, cultural values--what would advertisers prey on without them? Please don't think me a harsh critic, I just find this stuff hilarious. #consumerAmerica.

With that said, it appears all this perseverance, go-for-the-gold vibe is rubbing off on me. If what I am about to say sounds like the next Team USA McDonalds script, well, you can't say I didn't warn you.

I believe everyone should do something that makes them feel like an athlete.

As I am in the midst of my 'figuring out what the heck to do with my life' phase, I started doing a little writing exercise in my journal. I write 'This Much I Know' at the top of a page and then jot down an idea or belief that I feel I can say I really know. Here is one I wrote a few months ago:

This much I know: Running alleviates the pressure to make the needed room for enlightenment. How I treasure my solitary runs surrounded by snow-dusted mountains and hand painted skies. The rhythm of my breath and pounding of my feet clears my head and restores my confidence like no other remedy. 40 minutes of pumping legs can turn a day of self-doubt and discouragement to a time of self-love and renewal to try again. Our bodies are capable of SO much and I pity those that do not experiment with its potential. I am surely no athlete or ballerina, but I have often looked on in amazement at how my muscles can adapt so quickly to what I require of them. One of my greatest aspirations in life is to maintain good health so that I may continue to explore the great creation God has gifted me to house my spirit. I want to always be climbing mountains and soaking in nature's exquisite beauty--no matter how old I am. How dreadfully awful to be contained to a chair or bed for so many precious years of life. No, I will use everyday gifted to me to marvel at the great outside.

Let me reiterate: I am nothing close to an athlete. I've never competed, unless you count that one 5K race I did in junior high. But I do love to run. There is a beautiful hollow with a nice trail through the middle near my home. If I run to the hollow, then down and back through it, and back to my house it is about three miles. And when I'm feeling good I'll add another two mile loop before returning home. The hollow is full of tall, strong trees with a quaint, little stream trickling through the middle. It is beautiful during all seasons of the year. My feet have crunched dry leaves, dodged icy patches, and squished in spring mud many times over the past three years. I will probably never run marathon, but this trail and I have become pretty good friends.



During this time of Olympic fever I can't help but pretend I'm Simone Biles as I leap over-dramatically across the tiny stream. (My usual trip upon landing keeps reality in check ;)) Or try and channel my inner Ledecky to sprint up the final hill. I certainly don't look like an athlete or time like an athlete, but I can feel like one. And that is what's important. Who cares that I probably look like a drunk walrus in running tights. Don't think you can't explore your muscles' potential because you're not a 'sporty' person. We are capable of so much! The human body, your human body, will amaze you if you give it the chance. Don't let imaginary labels keep you from something better. A world of possibility, accomplishment, and self-confidence awaits you.

Go Team USA.

Go Merica.

Go You.

*ba ba ba da da. I'm lovin' it.

2 comments:

  1. I don't care that you look like a drunk walrus in running tights. ❤️ #thatslove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess. You're not supposed to agree with me on that one. ;)

      Delete