Sunday, August 14, 2016

Sabbath Delights: Truly Every Good Thing

LDS Young Single Adult wards are a unique phenomena in the world. Think about it, where else do young adults voluntary come and teach and participate in religious discussions every week. For three hours. Relief Society for Women, Elders Quorum for Men, Sunday School for everyone; it is all taught, conducted and organized by young adults ages 18-30. And more than the logistics of it all, the pure belief and commitment demonstrated by these youth astounds me. We really believe this. A twenty-two old boy isn't going to spend his time preparing a Sunday School lesson unless he recognizes the importance of his calling. Everyone there is so sincere. I am so glad I chose to brave the singles ward this summer. They have taught me so much.

As the day progressed, my reflection over singles wards expanded to the entire Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Today I could easily see how truly every good thing I have in my life is because of Jesus Christ and his restored church. I began to make mental lists of the blessings and would like to share them here. This is not by any means a comprehensive list, just a few things that stood out to me today.

"That the communication of thy faith may become effectual by the acknowledging of every good thing which is in you in Christ Jesus." ~Philemon 1:6


Blessings from a strong family unit:
  • Really, my motivation for gaining an education begins with my family. I am so grateful that my parents set the expectation of a college education. Going to school has truly been an exercise for the mind and soul. It is something I wish everyone to experience. If not for the institution and emphasis on families I don't know what I might have done. I testify of the blessing that come as we obey the commandment to 'honor thy father and thy mother'.
  • My sisters. Truly our relationships bring the greatest joy to me. The role of big sister is something I treasure and revere. I love my brothers and treasure our relationships also, but something about my sisters, at least at this time of life, is sweet above all else.
  • Constant support and love. A family foundation is the strongest foundation.  
Study of The Book of Mormon:
  • A kinder, softer heart
  • More ambition to do and accomplish things in life.
  • More aware of my judgmental attitudes and how to stop them.
  • More aware of the world. How to feel the truth and detect the lies.
  • A personal relationship with Christ.
  • Happiness! Everyday!
  • A knowledge that God is aware of me.
  • Deeper understanding of gospel doctrines.
  • Real connections with the people described in the book.
  • A testimony of the book!
  • Answers to the quiet questions of my heart.
  • Finding application to the world today.
  • A closeness to the atonement
  • Learning to recognize and follow the spirit. 
The Temple:
  • A symbol of the great love Heavenly Father has for us, and His desire that we return to be with Him.
  • To be apart of the work of salvation of souls who have passed on.
  • To taste of the joy that comes from a covenant keeping life.
  • Peace from perspective.
  • Clarity between right and wrong.
  • Worldly distractions are left at the door. It is as if they cannot even enter your mind. I really, really love that.
  • A strong remembrance of who we really are and why we need to be here.
  • Personal revelation at any time I need it. This is available always, but especially clear in the temple.
Church Attendance:
  • Have you been reading my Sabbath Delight posts??;) If not, go back and read them. Every week is beautiful. And needed.
  • Feelings of unity and belonging.
  • Participation in the ordinance of the sacrament.
  • Singing hymns.
  • The experience of others. Struggles, joys-everything.
  • A sense of responsibility through fulfilling calls to serve.
  • No where do I feel more treasured and respected as a woman than at church.
  • Creating meaningful relationships with my neighbors.
  • Opportunities to serve and do good.
Oh there is so much more. But these are the things I felt grateful for today. I hope you don't see this as a religious sales pitch, but an honest expression of thanks and belief. These blessing are real and in my life.

"Wherefore I beseech of you brethren, that ye should search diligently in the light of Christ that ye may know good from evil; and if ye will lay hold upon every good thing, and condemn it not, ye certainly will be a child of Christ."
~Moroni 7:19

No comments:

Post a Comment