Sunday, May 29, 2016

Sabbath Delights: "That I Might Draw All Men unto Me"

I truly love the gift from God that is the Sabbath day. President Nelson once said, "A Sabbath well spent brings a week of content." I can testify of the truth in that statement from repeated observation. Sunday's are a refresher of testimony, commitment, and most importantly for me, hope. At the close of the day, if I have done my part, I always feel optimistic and reassured of my testimony and comforted in my journey to the Savior. Hope is the main ingredient in making my Sabbath a delight. I have decided to begin recording my strongest impression of the day each evening. It is my hope that this will provide me an opportunity to explore the truth more deeply and remember it for longer.

Today, I began my morning by studying Elder Renlund's talk "That I Might Draw All Men unto Me" from conference. Wow. I feel so grateful to have Elder Renlund's guidance during these crucial years in my life. I feel like we get to 'grow up' together, him in his apostleship and me in my adulthood. The entire talk is phenomenal, but the last half is what especially stood out to me today. Elder Renlund says,

"To draw closer to the Savior, we must increase our faith in Him, make and keep covenants, and have the Holy Ghost with us. We must also act in faith, responding to the spiritual direction we receive. All of these elements come together in the sacrament. Indeed the best way I know of to draw closer to God is to prepare conscientiously and partake worthily of the sacrament each week."

How powerful is that? We all speak of ways we can draw closer to the Savior, and here we have one of His chosen apostles telling us the best way he knows how is to prepare for and partake worthily of the sacrament each week. That should teach us something about the importance of the ordinance. Elder Renlund then goes on to relate the account in Luke 24:30-35 of the disciples traveling to the village Emmaus. While familiar with this story, I had never given it much serious thought. Now I understand, however, the vital doctrine related in this experience. I'll quote Elder Renlund to explain the story:
"On the day of the Savior's Resurrection, two disciples traveled to a village called Emmaus. Unrecognized, the risen Lord joined them on the journey. As they traveled, He taught the from the scriptures. When they reached their destination, they invited Him to dine with them.
     'And it came to pass as he sat at meat with them, he took bread, an blessed it, and brake, and gave to them. And their eyes were opened and they knew him, and he vanished out of their sight. And they said one to another, Did not our hearts burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures? And they rose up the same hour, and returned to Jerusalem, and found the eleven [Apostles] gathered together.' And then they testified to the Apostles that the Lord is risen indeed."

Two things amaze me about this experience: 1. The apostles did not recognize the Lord until they had partaken of the sacrament. We need the ordinances to understand the Savior. This is where the flaw in the philosophy of 'I'm a good person, I don't need organized religion' is manifest. In order to become the best, most loving mothers, fathers, daughters and sons we need the Savior and the ordinances that bring us to recognition of him. Our greatest and most vital opportunity for growth is provided through the Savior's restored church.
Numba two: The apostles demonstrate a perfect exercise of faith. As soon as they attribute the 'burning of heart' they felt they rise up the same hour and testify that the Savior has risen. They know the source of their faith and are not afraid to take action. We too should not hesitate to share our burning of heart experiences.

I'll end with Elder Renlund's final testimony, "As we draw closer to God, the enabling power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ will come into our lives. And as with the disciples on the way to Emmaus, we will find that the Savior has been nearby all along. I so witness and testify in the name of Jesus Christ, amen."



No comments:

Post a Comment