Sunday, September 25, 2016

Sabbath Delights: Then it's easy.

Our home kitchen table is a generous host. It graciously welcomes paint stains, nail polish remover (sorry mom), messy spaghetti dinners, melted wax from birthday cakes, and all without a single complaint. It has also served as a backdrop to countless math study sessions. Nearly every evening in high school our kitchen table provided me a place to sprawl out all of my textbooks and crumpled papers. A busy dance schedule meant I usually didn't begin homework until nine p.m. or later. But no matter how late I struggled through math questions, my Dad always sat right next to me. Willing and anxious to help. Without a single complaint. 

Thanks to my brilliant father, I sure memorized a lot of equations, formulas and theories at that kitchen table. But to be perfectly honest, I don't remember hardly any of them ('hardly' is a bit generous...). There some lessons from those study session, however, I that I don't think I'll ever forget. One instance in particular has been flashing in my mind the past few days. 

One night, in my frustration over some math concept, I yelled out, "Dad this is too hard! I can't do it!" My Dad, in his ever mild-tempered manner, just said, "Emily, it is only hard until you understand. Then it's easy." I just kinda went, 'Oh duh.' Once I could understand the equations then all the problems became easy. 

Want to know why that conversation has stuck with me? Me too :) Lately, I think it's because his advice doesn't just apply to math problems. The application can be much more difficult, but it's still true. 

Brigham Young, second president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, once said:

"Every trial and experience you have passed through is necessary for your salvation.

'Necessary'--that is a bold statement. But I also find it immensely comforting. Believing that all the unfair, painful and frustrating things are in actuality preparing us for salvation is precious. God doesn't give us hardship without divine reasoning. He wants to mold us into the best, highest, happiest versions of ourselves. Some things we may understand now, and some not until the next life, but it will all make sense someday. In the meantime we can find peace. My Dad's method for math homework is helpful in that regard: find the right equation (prayerfully try and see how this may refine you), then plug and chug the numbers (endure with hope) until you reach an answer.


good night friends :)

No comments:

Post a Comment